Sunday 7 May 2017

In defence of the match maker " aunty "

So I have been entrusted with finding a match for my third cousin .  Goshhhh now  This is new to me . A few months back my aunt  called me up and told me details about her son who is living in my  present city since an year now .  He has a very  rich CV with degrees from high level  institutions including from  one ivy league university . I have never been given this task before .
To be frank ,  I was a bit taken aback  but feeling  privileged to  be allocated such a delicate and important errand.
 Not knowing how to start , I have started giving his details to my close associates to help me out .
You see the complication - he still doesn't know  this intention of mine    and I don't want him  and the  world to think that  I am your typical match making aunty.

Me ? a very intelligent /go getting / diligent / hardworking / aware / career oriented / young /regular woman next door ? a match making aunty ?

Its a common phenomenon to   smirk or giggle at    this ilk  . we see them everywhere - in parties/ dinners / weddings / balls / banquets / functions ...
They see an eligible candidate   in some such fetes and they start  getting details  /  running  sequential  queries in their fertile minds /  playing mix and match games mentally / trying to 'fix' them with other singletons .
Majority of them are ladies ( I wonder why ) .
They are subject to much sneer and leer.
I too have chuckled quietly at these people who are trying to "set me " up  with some male I have never seen or known.
Our attitudes / outlook towards life changes with our role changes.   One fine day  , The  pampered daughter  becomes the  concerned mother ,the  carefree student becomes the  strict teacher ,
the ward becomes the guardian .
 Two decades back I was one such focussed , career minding single girl in the big bad world of Bombay ( today Mumbai).  I have led the high life  when still internet / mobile phones  were just teething .  I have lived alone in  costly hostels and studio apartments for years . My   parents used to send me photos of eligible boys and remind me every few months that I am going old and I should get married ASAP. On my 24th birthday I remember my mother calling me and literally weeping in the phone - " you are going to be ALL of 24 . you HAVE TO get married before 25 . why don't you like any boy I refer .  Word is getting around in our community in this town that you are growing proud and haughty because of your earning status . If this persists, you will never get married. That cousin younger  is already a mother . why O why .. "
I lived in literal dread of  such calls and letters .

You tend to grow up quickly when you are on your own .
One by one my friends started getting married .some even got divorced equally quickly making me think about the sanctity of the bond .
I remember falling sick once very badly . I was bed ridden for 2 whole days and had vomited  over myself more than once, soiling my bed horribly  . I could not even go and get my medicines from the cabinet which was just 10 feet away. finally  after  2-3 days I mustered up some strength and came back to life . I had to clean the whole thing myself and stand on my own two feet all by myself .  With no one to talk to  , no one to even get me a glass of water , life was hell then.  I know life when you are on your own.  I didn't tell this to my parents as I knew they will worry themselves to no end .

Truth be told ,  each time  I was home on some holiday , I had diligently attended  some " bride seeing " sessions in my house   with families ( and extended families in some cases ) of both sides chatting " nonchalantly " for several hours .  There have also been instances when  " just the two of us " met over a cuppa  .

In some cases the boy's party agreed instantly but I had refused .
I just didn't feel connected to any of them  and didn't want any alliance just for the heck of  it -no offence meant to those boys or their families .
Finally , just before my 25th birthday ( just like my mum wanted )  , I got married and now am a mother myself .
Only now I am able to acknowledge  the worry and concern of a parent.
As a guardian you want a secure life for our wards . not necessarily a rich or luxurious life but a comfortable one  at least .
Man is the only creature which worries about its offspring till he dies. birds / bees /animals / flora and fauna give birth and go about their own lives. Probably mammals like elephants / cats care for their infants for a few years till they are suckling and then the little ones are on their own.
Its natural  that a  parent is always worried  with questions like what is my child doing out in the big city all by himself  ? what if the train is very  late  ? what if he falls sick ?  what if the water electricity is not working ? does she know how to fix that leaking pipe ? what if there is some robbery in the   house ?
what if  she  runs of food stock in his fridge ?  who is he sharing his flat with ? what kind of people are coming to her house  posing as friends ? so on and on and on ...

Marriage is a wholesome package . It provides security  and bond . But this blog is  not a lecture about marriage  but I am defending those who try to find matches for singletons.  they are not  just interfering ants  . Their intentions are only to help.  Its easy to say - mind your own business but with today's  jet setting lives , individuals get little time to interact outside their realm . Dating sites are always there but its safer  to go through some known channel .
Gone are the days of horoscope matching , bride "seeing " , getting the correct wedding date from the family priest etc.,
Personally I dont think  marriage is a dying institution .  It will be there as long as humanity is around on this planet.
Coming back  to my new role , I am calling him for  collective dinners / gatherings with  other friends which include eligible girls and   introducing them. With his credentials ,he will prove to be a good match. They can meet later for a cuppa by themselves and take it from there .  Heres hoping that something appealing will click soon . Meanwhile , If and when he finds out  my intention , hope he does not develop any animosity towards me . I am only trying to help , you see ..

No comments: